Trekking in the Upper Dolpa is a rare privilege as one can get an opportunity to see some of the most ancient and authentic cultures and traditions of our country. Dolpa, the biggest district of our country is one of the most beautiful and majestic places to stroll as one can see some of the most beautiful and mesmerizing things in this region. Most of the places of this region are isolated and remote which results in a few and limited number of tourists in this majestic place. Upper Dolpa, located near the Nepal-Tibet border is a home of thousands of ancient Tibetan monasteries and ancient Tibetan Buddhist culture.
One can get an opportunity to do the sightseeing of some of the highest mountain ranges of our country. Some of the major attractions of Upper Dolpa trek are the sightseeing of ancient monasteries and gompas, exploring the lifestyle of Himalayan people, Shey Gompa and Shey Phoksundo Lake. Saldang, Dho Tarap, authentic Buddhist monuments, David Snell groove’s Himalayan pilgrimage and Shey Phoksundo National Park and a wide variety of flora and fauna found in this region. Another major attraction of this journey is the sightseeing of the unique culture, traditions and lifestyle of people living in this region.
Upper Dolpa trek starts with the sightseeing of the capital city of our country. You will then take a scenic flight to Nepaljung and then to Jupal from Kathmandu. We will start our trek and trek through dense rhododendron and oak forests to reach Renje. Trekking ahead will take us to one of the famous lakes of our country, Shey Phoksundo lake. We will then trek to Shey Gompa crossing the Phoksund Khola, Phoksundo Bhanjyang and the famous Kang La pass. We will then cross another pass Saldang La pass from where we will Saldang. Heading ahead and crossing the Jeng La pass will lead us to Dho Tarap from where we will start to descend our trip to Tarakot and then to Jhupal. We will be back to Nepalgunj and then fly to Kathmandu from where we will end our incredible journey
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1300m/4264ft)
Day 02: Kathmandu: sightseeing and trek preparation
Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj: 1 hour
Day 04: Fly from Nepalgunj to Jhuphal (Dolpo) and trek to Dunai (2,850m/9,348ft): 45 mins flight, 2-3 hours trek
Day 05: Dunai to Ankhe (2,896m/9,499ft): 5-6 hours
Day 06: Ankhe to Sulighat: 5-6 hours
Day 07: Sulighat to Phoksundo Lake (3,611m/11,849 ft) 4-5 hours
Day 08: Acclimatization and rest at Phoksundo Lake
Day 09: Trek to Phoksundo Khola: 4-5 hours
Day 10: Phoksunds Khola to Phoksundo Bhanjyang: 6-7 hours
Day 11: Phoksundo Bhanjyang to Shey Gompa (4,500m/14,760ft) via Kang-La pass (5,360m/17,581ft): 5-6 hours
Day 12: Acclimatization and rest at Shey Gompa
Day 13: Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun (4,800m/15,744ft) via Saldang La (5,200m/17,056ft): 6-7 hours
Day 14: Namduna Gaun to Saldang (3,620m/ 11,874ft): 4-5 hours
Day 15: Saldang to Yangze Gompa (4,960m/16,267ft): 4-5 hours
Day 16: Yangze Gompa to Sibu (4,560m/14,957ft): 6-7 hours
Day 17: Sibu to Jeng-la Phedi (4,900m/16,072ft): 5-6 hours
Day 18: Jeng-la Phedi to Tokyu Gaon (4209m/13809ft) via Jeng La pass (5,090m/16,695ft): 5-6 hours
Day 19: Tokyu to Dho Tarap(4,040m/13,251ft): 4-5 hours
Day 20: Rest Day at Dho Tarap
Day 21: Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola (Kamakharka) (3,800m/12,464ft): 6-7 hours
Day 22: Tarap Khola to Khanigaon(3,150m/10,332ft): 4-5 hours
Day 23: Khanigaon to Tarakot (2,537m/8,321ft): 4-5 hours
Day 24: Tarakot to Dunai (2,140m/7,019ft): 5-6 hours
Day 25: Dunai to Jhuphal: 2-3 hours
Day 26: Fly from Jhuphal to Nepalgunj and then to Kathmandu
Day 27: Rest day in Kathmandu
Day 28: Final departure
- Two nights standard accommodation in 2/3/4/5 star category hotel in Kathmandu located tourist center, or up to you.
- Meals on full board (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trekking
- Local fresh fruits like orange, apple, banana and grape etc.
- All accommodations during the trek.
- Your destination map.
- Both ways domestic Flights with airport tax.
- An experienced Government licensed holder Climbing guide and porter to carry your luggage during the trek.
- Food, drinks, accommodation, insurance, salary, equipment’s, transportation, local tax for Guide and porter
- Group medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- If you need we will provide you sleeping bag, down jackets, Duffle bag and, if necessary etc.
- All necessary Government paper works and national park entry permits and TIMS Card etc.
- Travel & Rescue arrangement.
- All government taxes and Vat.
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private car or van. It is depend of the group.
- Meals yourself Kathmandu (L+D).
- equipment / Gears
- Your Travel insurance.
- International airfare.
- Nepal entry visa (You can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Nepal’s Airport in Kathmandu).
- All kind drinks (Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks, Water )
- Personal shopping and laundry etc.
- Personal trekking Equipment’s.
- Tips for trekking staff and driver. (Tipping is expected, but it is not mandatory)
- If do any tour and sightseeing and other activities etc.